Karakol's modest Regional Museum is located in the western part of Karakol on the one of main streets of Karakol made by the 19th century style "Merchant passage."
The museum's exposition reflects the history of the region, its natural resources, industrial development, agriculture, culture, education, health and tells about famous people of the region.
During the turbulent years of 1918-20 the building earned its socialist stripes as headquarters of the Regional Revolutionary Committee, and was subsequently transformed into a museum by order of the Soviet Council of Ministers in 1948.
Despite its modest size, the museum has several interesting displays (labelled in English, Russian and Kyrgyz), which are worth seeing. Scythian artefacts include enormous bronze pots retrieved from Lake Issyk-Kul, displayed alongside exhibits on petroglyphs in the area. Besides a comprehensive display of traditional Kyrgyz punched leatherwork, felt wall hangings and woven yurt decorations, the museum has a colourful collection of national costumes, examples of finely worked silver jewellery and a good exhibition of Kyrgyz applied art. One hall covers the region's flora and fauna - much of which is endangered and listed in the 'Red Book' (a Soviet inventory of protected species). The museum is also worth visiting to gain a Soviet perspective of history in the region. A couple of walls relating to Kyrgyz union with Russia and the subsequent revolution are now historical artefacts in themselves.
The museum is open daily from 9am to 5pm. Entrance costs 100 som for foreign visitors (approx 2$).
Contacts of museum: +996 3922 53268